|Juliaetta was originally called Schupferville by Rupert Schupfer, who founded and platted the town in 1878. The name was later changed when the post office arrived in 1882, and honors the first postmaster, Charles Snyder’s two daughters, Julia and Etta. The prosperous town boasted a flourmill in 1882, and in 1911 a cannery, which produced 8,000 cans per day. In 1890, work on the Northern Pacific Railroad halted in Juliaetta while rights-of-way could be obtained to cross the Nez Perce Indian reservation. While the legal battles raged, Lewiston merchants raised nearly $75,000 and purchased most of the right-of-way from the reservation. The railroad had the go-ahead to keep building, but the Panic of 1893 delayed its construction for another six years.
In approximately 1906, Abram A. Adams, a stonemason from New York, began pouring eight-inch-thick concrete blocks. He built an impressive “Castle,” as it is known as, with interior walls measuring eighteen inches thick. The house contained nine rooms, embossed metal ceilings, carbide lights and central heating. Adams eventually lived in the castle house with his five children. Today, the museum occupies these rooms and displays impressive artifacts to the public. One story worth noting is a Canadian goose shot by Adams in 1909. Apparently he found whole grains of wheat in its craw which he planted in Idaho. It is said the mature grain produced mature grain with heads five inches long and almost two inches wide. He marketed this “Alaska Wheat,” as he called it, in small quantities as seed grain. It produced seventy bushels per acre.