Osburn
Pop. 1,545

This town site was originally a construction camp for the Mullan Road. After construction was complete, the town was abandoned. When the Union Pacific Railroad built a line through the area, railroad officials platted out a town on the former construction camp and named it “Georgetown.” The name was chosen in honor of Lee George, one of the townsite’s owners. However, when residents applied for a post office, the postal department decided that too many Georgetowns already existed in Idaho Territory and across the nation. In response, residents renamed their town after Bill Osborne, the first postmaster and owner of the town’s first store. The postal department misspelled the application request, and the name has been Osburn since 1877.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved