Potlatch
Pop. 791

The word potlatch, for which the town is named, was a Chinook Indian ceremonial feast that involved exchanging gifts in a competitive display of wealth. The community was founded and named in 1905 by the Potlatch Lumber Company, which at one point was recognized as the world’s largest steam-powered mill. Until 1952, the company owned the entire town, including all the homes, churches, and stores. Today, buildings and land are privately owned, and the area’s lumber industry has dwindled for lack of resources and demand.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved