Winchester
Pop. 308

Shortly after the Nez Perce Indian Reservation was opened to white homesteaders, Old Winchester sprang up and a post office was established in 1899. In 1900, a town meeting was held to discuss the development of a school district. Agreeing that the district would need an official name, one resident gazed around the room and noted that most individuals present had brought Winchester rifles with them. The suggestion of dubbing the community after the popular gun was offered up, and the name was unanimously voted upon. When the Craig Mountain Lumber Company came to the area in 1909, residents moved the town to its current site to take advantage of employment opportunities at the newly established sawmill. Today, the area draws large numbers of people visiting Winchester Lake State Park situated just one half mile outside the community.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved