Glenns Ferry
Pop. 1,611

Glenns Ferry is named for Gustavus P. Glenn who operated a ferry across the Snake River from 1865 to 1889. The ferry was established to shorten the route from Kelton to Boise by twenty miles and afforded Oregon Trail emigrants an extra ounce of safety as they no longer had to make a dangerous ford of the river. The route also helped Glenn’s brothers as they owned freight teams and traveled that route regularly. In 1879, enough settlers had remained in the area surrounding the ferry to acquire postal services. Just four years later, the town was formally platted when the arrival of the Oregon Short Line Railroad ensured the community’s hopes for the future. In 1908, the first Snake River Bridge was constructed here.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved