New Meadows
Pop. 533

Located amid a scenic meadow landscape, New Meadows received its first white inhabitants in 1864 when a pioneer homesteaded on Goose Creek in 1864. In 1877, Tom Cooper and Bill Jolly joined the scene with sixty head of horses, and the area became known as Whites Mail Station. Three years later, the Tom Clay family moved into the area, and the region was well on its way to establishing a community foothold in Idaho Territory.

In 1911, the Pacific and Idaho Northern Railroad arrived in this partially settled area and built a brick depot. Their original intentions were to terminate the line at the already established town of Meadows, but that never evolved due to disagreements between Meadows officials and Col. E.M. Heighho. Therefore, they laid the tracks one and one-half miles east of Meadows in the tiny homesteaded area, and many of nearby Meadows’ residents and businesses relocated. The railroad, however, never prospered greatly from hauling meager loads of cattle and lumber, and in 1979 the line from Tamarack to New Meadows was abandoned. Today, New Meadows is developing into one of Idaho’s newest recreational hot-spots and resort areas.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved