Pioneerville

J. Marion Moore and other members of the Splawn-Grimes discovery party set out in the fall of 1862 in search of gold. After just one month of searching, the party staked claims on October 7, and Moore established Pioneerville, the first town in the Boise Basin. Moore’s party quickly ran out of supplies, so several men left for Walla Walla and Lewiston to gather needed materials for the site. Fearing an Indian attack, the remaining miners constructed a twelve-foot high wall around their town and remained inside until supplies arrived six weeks later. At the same time, Jefferson Standifer and other prospectors arrived in Pioneerville. Noting that all the claims had been staked, Standifer nicknamed the town “Fort Hog’em” before leaving Pioneerville. Once the community was adequately supplied again, the first post office in Boise Basin was established in 1864 with the population swelling to 2,000. Although Pioneerville is now just another ghost town, it is remembered as producing some of the richest gold ore in Idaho with values reaching up to $20,000 per ton.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved