Murtaugh
Pop. 139

After gold was discovered along the Snake River in 1869, Drytown, as the area was originally called, was located on this townsite. Jack Fuller homesteaded along Dry Creek to the south of the site, and Henry Shodde, a cattle rancher, settled above Starrhs Ferry. The settlement between the two homesteads was later named for Mark Murtaugh, the assistant superintendent of the Twin Falls Canal Co., who was head of construction on the South Side Irrigation Project.

Murtaugh Lake lies three miles southeast of town and provides area recreation. The town’s current economy revolves around farming but still retains evidence of its roots as a railroad town. The old railroad depot, built in 1908, stands in town. Upon the closure of the rail line, the building has served as a car repair garage, general store, and a bar and grill.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved