Menan
Pop. 707

Founded as a Mormon settlement in 1879, this community was called Poole’s Island, Heals Island, Cedar Butte, and Platt before finally arriving at is present moniker. Its current name was given in 1885 when the post office was established and is allegedly a Shoshoni Indian term meaning “island,” or “many waters.” The town itself lies amidst various bends in the Snake River, which would deem the name appropriate. The town continues to serve as a supply center for the surrounding agricultural area.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved