Ucon
Pop. 943

Homesteaded in 1885 by Mormons, this town was originally dubbed “Willow Creek” after its plotting near this stream’s banks. The name was changed to “Elba” a few years later, but when residents applied for a post office, they learned another Idaho town carried the same name. After looking through a list of the postal service’s recommended town names, residents voted to call their settlement “Ucon.” Ucon remained a relatively tiny village until the arrival of the railroad. In 1904, when the community learned a rail route was to be built seven miles west of town, residents packed their bags and moved the town near the railroad. This decision significantly aided the town’s growth, and Ucon remains an agricultural hub and shipping point.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved