Atomic City
Pop. 25

Originally dubbed “Midway,” Atomic City lies between Arco and Blackfoot and derived its present name in 1950 when the town incorporated and nearby Highway 26 received a $2 million facelift. The townsfolk were hoping the population would boom after the improvements to the highway were completed. That wasn’t the case. This small town is, however, the gateway to the U.S. Department of Energy’s Idaho National Engineering Laboratory (a huge mass of off-limits land). The Lab is a reactor testing station and was established in 1949.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Idaho Travel and Vacation Planner | Idaho Real Estate and Relocation Information | Idaho Tour

Copyright ©2010 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved